Wednesday 27 February 2013

JTF in Borno State Making Progress in War against Terrorism

There are indications that the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State is making progress in the war against terrorism. The Joint Task Force in Maiduguri, Borno State capital said they have recorded a major breakthrough in its war against terrorism with the killing of a top commander of the Boko Haram insurgents and three of his lieutenants, Monday, 25th February, 2013, in Maiduguri. Also reported was the arrest of three other members of the terrorists group by the JTF during its operation “cordon and search” at the Kasuwan Kaji areas of Maiduguri.

In addition, the JTF recovered an accumulation of arms and ammunition after the two hours operation in the area.  According to the Spokesman of the JTF, Lt-Col. Sagir Musa, the killed commander of the Boko Haram Islamist sect was behind the recent bomb blasts and attacks on JTF patrol vehicles at the Post Office Areas and Gambouru areas of Maiduguri, which killed and injured some civilians, soldiers and policemen.

Lt-Col. Musa disclosed in a statement that the recovered arms and ammunition include three each of AK47 rifles and magazines, two Dane-guns, 36 rounds of ammunition, two bows and 18 arrows, and assorted materials for making of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).

The statement read in part, “The operation was intended to arrest a top Boko Haram terrorist’s commander and his group believed to have come into Maiduguri from Kano to cause havoc. The commander and his three lieutenants lost their lives during an exchange of gunfire. Three other terrorists were arrested and are in JTF custody undergoing interrogations”.  

In the meantime, gunmen on Monday night invaded the Ngelzarma Motor Park in Fune Local Government Area of the State, killing seven members of the community vigilance group and injuring three others.

Yakubu Yahaya, an eye witness, narrated that the gunmen stormed the Motor Park while the vigilance group was holding its inaugural meeting. He said that the Ngelzarma community recently constituted a vigilance group to compliment security agencies’ efforts towards protecting lives and properties in the area.

Also speaking on the incident, the Chairman of Fune Local Government Area,Digma Gana, added that apart from the seven dead victims, three others were injured. 

MOPOL Commander Assassinated in Kano

Similarly, bandits, on Tuesday, 26th February, 2013, killed the Commander the Mobile Police – MOPOL 9 Kano, Superintendent of Police (SP) Dahiru Musa Magiya, at his Sabo Wargandu Quarters in Kano.

An eye witness revealed that the five-man gang invaded the commander’s residence in a dramatic manner at about 8.40pm. “We saw them (the gunmen) walking inside the compound and they were received by the gateman. Most of us thought they were visitors or the commander’s friends. But suddenly, we heard gunshots. In a short while, they all came out of the compound and started shooting sporadically before they fled”.

The Kano State Police Commissioner, Musa Daura, who confirmed the incident, nevertheless, assured that the assailants would soon be apprehended, noting that the commandant’s death was most regrettable. 

Bomb Scare in Kaduna State

Meanwhile, there was confusion in Kaduna yesterday, 26th February, 2013 following a bomb scare in Kachia Local Government Area of the state. It was gathered that an object suspected to be bomb exploded at a refuse dump in the area and forced residents to scuttle for safety in Kachia. The incident came on the heels of last Saturday’s attack by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen at the Aduwan Gida Village in Zango-Kataf Local Government Area of the state killing five people, including a 6-year-old child and his mother. The bomb scare occurred just as the Governor of Kaduna State, Ramallan Yero was visiting residents of Aduwan village on Saturday to condole with the victims of the recent attacks.


Ex-Militants Protest in Yenagoa Bayelsa State

In the same vein, there was pandemonium in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State as ex-militants who claimed that they have been short-changed after surrendering weapons to security agencies took to the Melford Okilo highway, attacking innocent people and destroying properties. 

Eye witnesses told newsmen that some of the ex-militants that believed the method being adopted by the Inter Agency Task Force set up by the Chief of Defence Staff to verify weapons surrendered to security agencies so that those who turned in their arms could have their names sent to the Amnesty Office would affect them, mobilized and started violent protest.

It took the intervention of the armed policemen attached to the security outfit, Operation Doo Akpo, to save the situation as they dispersed the protesting ex-militants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment