Sunday, 3 March 2013

Boko Haram Attacked Military Barracks in Borno

No fewer than 22 people including a soldier died during an attack on a military barracks early this Sunday morning in Monguno village located about 200km away from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Military officials said it was a kind of war that has never been witnessed in recent times since the Boko Haram insurgence began in 2009.

Similarly, a source from Baderi village in Marte Local Government Area of Borno State disclosed that the attackers, who used several explosives, had earlier killed the Baderi village head, Lawan Kafu, when they raided the village, before proceeding to Monguno in five jeeps on Saturday night.

A security source who does not want to be named as he is not allowed to talk to the press, confirmed that “a soldier and several of the attackers believed to be Boko Haram” were killed in an ensuing gun battle. However, spokesman of the Joint Task Force (JTF), Lt. Col. Sagir Musa confirmed that 20 of the Boko Haram were killed as soldiers repelled the attack on the military barracks; but did not confirm the casualty figure recorded by the military.

Although other sources, which claimed to have gotten information of the attack in Monguno told newsmen that, the attackers took the military unawares as several of them were said to have been killed, while many were injured before the situation was brought under control.

The source told pressmen that, “When my brother called, he said there were explosions everywhere, saying that when they wanted to run to the barracks, they were told that the attack was on the military and they ran to nearby villages for safety.”

No comments:

Post a comment